Wednesday, July 14, 2010

30 letters, 30 days... Day 12-To someone who caused me a lot of pain

I knew when I started these letters a few of them would be very hard to write and even harder to publish. Still I decided to press on in order to purge myself of any ill feelings and begin a healing process. I am a Christian which means I am supposed to forgive those who have done me harm and turn the other cheek. At the same time I am human and flawed, so please don't judge me. I would prefer you pray for me and ask God to help heal my heart...

To my one time mentor:

I must admit I've been harboring these ill feelings for some time now. I looked to you for advice, guidance, prayer and encouragement. I held you in high regards as a person who would always be in my corner. For years you provided me with just that, but those were the good times. When the chips were stacked up in my favor. I will admit I even gave you some credit as my success seemed eminent... But something changed. When things went south... you went away. Our friendship, partnership and relationship dissipated.
I still to this day don't understand how that was possible, out of everyone involved in the situation I expected you to HAVE MY BACK. Instead you retreated, took my loss and immediately went into CYA mood. How could you leave me standing alone, and holding onto the burden that you could have helped me to bare. I didn't expect much just a firm hand to hold as I battle my way back to the top. Instead I reached out for you and got a door slammed in my face.
I have forgiven you... even told you to your face how upset I was at the time. I also appreciate your apologies. We both made mistakes and are now realizing how those mistakes have affected the other person. So lets work to get past this pain, reconnect and try harder to understand each other. I'm not sure if our mentor/mentee relationship will ever be as strong as it use to be but I still respect you for what you do.

Tisiphani


We all fall... But I know the true key to life is learning to get back up.

No comments: